Can't see the Menu? Click Here
Battle, as it is today, is a small town as well as civil parish in Rother, which is
part of East Sussex. The Local area is the heart of the Sussex Weald and is designated as a High
weald area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
There are two senior Schools, Battle Abbey, and Claverham Community College, and the Primary school of
Battle and Langton Church of England Primary School. As of 2007, the Population was recorded as 6,171 people
living with in a 12.3 square mile area.
Below is a brief list of Events which have happened throughout the history of the Town-
43- Romans were based around Battle at Beauport until 400AD. They built a Bathhouse for the Iron Workings
(Bloomeries) in the area, with Recreational facilities
1066- The Battle of Hastings Took place on Senlac Hill, 6 and a quarter miles from Hastings.
1070- Pope Alexander II ordered King William to do penance for killing so many people. William decided
to built the Abbey. Work started and the town of `La Bataillage` was formed.
1090- The Battle Almonry was Built. Around this time, Santlache (Sandy Stream) was renamed by the normans,
Sanguelac (Blood Lake) before being shortern to Senlac.
1095- St Martin`s Abbey was built after leveling the top of Senlac Hill.
1115 Appox- St Mary`s The Virgin Church was founded by Abbot Ralph. It was given `Peculiar` status
1338- The Battle Abbey Gatehouse was built as protection from a possible French invasion.
1406- Richard Curtey, the Beadle of Battle Abbey, was granted permission to build a house
for himself near the Abbey, he built the house now at Number 89, High Street
1420- The Pilgrims Rest Building was built. It later became the tea room/restaurant
1605- Not long after Guy Fawke`s failed, rumour said Battle had suppiled the gunpowder, which was
known as being of high quaility. There is no firm evidence to support this rumour but it brough notoriety
to the town at the time.
1646- Earlist known refence to Battle Bonfire Celebrations as an orangised event
1676- John Hammond created the first known Battle Gunpowder Mill in what is now Powdermill Lane.
1700 appox- Langton House (later Langton Hall, Later Battle Memorial Hall) had a 3rd stoery installed
1703- Following the dissolution, Battle Abbey became a private Home, while other parts were used as
building materials. Sir Thomas Webster was made a Baronet. This title lasted till 1923.
1718- Langton House became a Poor house. It was believed to have used as this until 1724, then again in 1805
1719- Sir Thomas Webster brough the Abbey from Sir Henry Whistler.
1740 appox- The Old Pharmacy opened in the High Street as a Chemists.
1790- Burstow and Hewett was established.
1798- Over 15 tonnes of gunpowder was left to bake in the oven for too long and exploded
1847- Due to Many accedents at the Gunpowder Mills, the Duke of Cleveland refused to renew the license
1858- The Sixth Baronet sold the Abbey to Lord Harry Vane, Later Duke of Cleveland.
1862- Langton House was used as a Ladies Boarding House
1870 appox- Elizabeth Langton, of Langton Hall, left funds for the Tuition of 15 boys and 15 girls. This school later amalgamted to make
Battle & Langton C.E. Primary School
1870- Building of Normanhurst Court was completed and was home to the Brassey Family.
1901- The Seventh Baronet, Sir August Webster, brought back Battle Abbey
1902- Langton Hall was cut into two houses, Number 80 `Ticehurst House` and 81 `Langton House`
1903- Karl Henry Emeleus brough The Old Pharmacy from William Harrold. The Lease was signed
on Bonfire Night.
1912- St Etheldreda`s School was formed in Bexhill by Mary Jacoby and Helen Sheehan-Dare
1922- St Etheldread`s All-girls bording school moved to the Abbey
1937- A Gunpowder explosion went off at number 39 Wellington-gardens. The home owned, Mr Percy Wait was killed,
and Mr Charles Longley was injured. It was believed they were making fireworks, the famous `Battle Rouses`, when the Gunpowder
was being tested and exploded. Lodger, Mr Thompson, escaped harm by jumping out of the bedroom winder when he heard the noise. Senlac
Cinema screened it`s first film, "Dreams come true" with Frederick Bradshaw and Frances Day.
1938- Jempsons/Budgens first openned in Battle as Budgens
1943- Three Enemy Aircraft were spotting dropping H.E. Bombs on Battle duing daylight hours. One Bomb demolished
a newsagent`s shop and damaged property surrounding it, Two Residents (Mr and Mrs Giles were killed), another
bounced on the Abbey green, before going into the gateway to the lawn, no damage reported, and a third landed on
the Cricket Field.
1948- Battle Marbles was Revived
1950 Appox- The Granary Saleroom was brought by Charles Ellin, the first of the Ellin family to own Burstow
and Hewett Auctioneers. It was first a Granary and the remaining grain was sold.
1951- Normanhurst Court was demolished after being used as a military hospital in WW1, a girls school, and a Prisoner of War camp in
WW2. Normanhurst Caravan park was built on the grounds.
1958- Langton House was sold to the Trustees of Battle Memorial Hall, who had been in charge since 1945.
1960- Langton House was renamed the Battle Memorial Hall
1966- Darwell Wood became a Site of Special Scientific Interest (Biological). Battle Abbey Green became a Car Park.
1968- Senlac Cinema closed down and was converted into an Auction room for Burstow and Hewett
1972- Number 80 `Ticehurse House` became Lloyds Bank
1976- Battle Abbey was sold to the British Government
1983- The Historic Building and Monuments Commision for England (English Heritage) was formed
as an off-shoot of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and Battle Abbey was put under their care
1984- Hemingfold Meadow became a site of Special Scientific Interest (Biological)
1986- Annette and Brian Buckley brought number 89, High street and turned in into `Buckleys Yestureday
World Musuem and Shop`
1986- Battle & Langton C.E. Primary School moved to Market Road due to rapid rise in number of Primary age children
1989- After large numbers of fossiel finds since the mid 19th century, (including Fish, Crocodiles, Pterosaurs and
dinosaurs), Blackhorse Quarry was classed as a site of Special Scientific Interest (Geological).
1999- Battle Abbey Green was `landscaped` for better look and use for events such as Medieval fair, Farmer`s market
and Marbles Event
2010- The Old Pharmacy closed down
Web site contents © Copyright Battel Bonfire Boyes, All rights reserved.
Original template from Website templates